Sore & Strep Throat
Soothe your sore throat
Learn how to prepare for your visit, how to get the most out of it and about any care restrictions here.
Your throat is hurting — is it strep? The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral infection such as a cold. Allergies, postnasal drip and cigarette smoke can also make your throat hurt. If the soreness is caused by bacteria, you may have strep throat. Strep is contagious and requires antibiotic treatment. We can do a strep test and get you feeling better faster.
What to know before your visit
Patients with the following may be directed to another health care provider:
- The presence of drooling and inability to swallow
What to expect at your visit
- Sign in at the electronic kiosk to see a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.* No appointment necessary.
- Your practitioner will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms, conduct an examination and provide a personalized treatment plan.
- Your practitioner may conduct a rapid strep test. If that test is negative, he or she may conduct an additional test to be sent to an outside lab.
- Your practitioner may also recommend other testing to rule out influenza or mono.
- Please note that additional charges apply for these tests. Visit our Price List for these fees.
- At the end of your visit, your practitioner will provide you with a summary, a receipt and educational material.
- The summary of your visit can be sent to your primary care provider with your permission.
*MinuteClinic® employs physician assistants in select states. See here for details.