Upper Respiratory Infections
Just a common cold?
Learn how to prepare for your visit, how to get the most out of it and about any care restrictions here.
An upper respiratory infection — the good old-fashioned common cold — occurs when viruses attack the nose, throat and chest. Symptoms typically include runny nose, coughing and sneezing, sore throat and fever. Since a cold and the flu share the same symptoms, it can be hard to figure out which one you have. We can help!
Check out great videos, health articles, tips and more.Learn More
What to know before your visit
Patients with the following may be directed to another health care provider:
- Severe shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Severe chest pain
- Cough lasting more than 3 weeks
What to expect at your visit
- Sign in at the electronic kiosk to see a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.* No appointment necessary.
- Your practitioner will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms, conduct an examination and provide a personalized treatment plan.
- Your practitioner may conduct needed testing. Please note that additional charges apply for these tests. Visit our Price List for these fees.
- At the end of your visit, your practitioner will provide you with a summary, a receipt and educational material.
- The summary of your visit can be sent to your primary care provider with your permission.
*MinuteClinic® employs physician assistants in MN, NC, NV and TX.