Convenient treatment for a painful condition
Learn how to prepare for your visit, how to get the most out of it and about any care restrictions here.
Shingles is a painful rash caused by the virus herpes zoster, the same virus that causes chicken pox. If you had chicken pox as a child, you could develop shingles as an adult. We can examine your rash and provide treatment with either over-the-counter products or a prescription if needed.†
What to know before your visit
Our practitioners do not offer the shingles vaccination.
Patients with the following may be directed to another health care provider:
- Blisters around the eye or nose
- Stiff neck, decrease in vision, confusion or unusual drowsiness
What to expect at your visit
- Sign in at the electronic kiosk to see a nurse practitioner or physician assistant.* No appointment necessary.
- Your practitioner will review your medical history, discuss your symptoms, conduct a visual exam of the infected area and provide a personalized treatment plan. This could include over-the-counter or prescription medication including antiviral medicines and pain relievers.
- At the end of your visit, your practitioner will provide you with a summary, a receipt and educational material.
- The summary of your visit can be sent to your primary care provider with your permission.
*MinuteClinic® employs physician assistants in select states. See here for details.
†If medically appropriate, practitioners may write a prescription.