Become a collaborating physician
Be at the forefront of the latest innovation in patient care delivery.
Patients want more choices and convenience without sacrificing the quality of care. That's the idea behind MinuteClinic® and the reason we've seen such tremendous growth.
As a MinuteClinic collaborating physician, your time investment can put you at the forefront of the trend toward consumer-driven health care. You'll work just a few hours a month yet your expertise and feedback will help us deliver the convenient and affordable high-quality care our patients deserve.
Who we are
We pioneered the retail health care model as well as the quality and service innovations that have made it such a remarkable success.
Our care model encourages the patient's primary care provider and medical home relationship by:
- Focusing on a limited variety of common family illnesses
- Forwarding visit summaries to the patient's primary care provider
- Providing patients with information on primary care providers in their areas
- Providing evidence-based diagnosis and prescription treatment (when clinically appropriate) guided by our EMR system
Our care model also ensures the highest quality care at every visit. In fact, MinuteClinic was the first retail clinic to seek — and receive — accreditation by The Joint Commission.
Our predecessor, QuickMedx, opened its first centers in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area in May 2000. They offered treatment for seven common medical conditions: strep throat, mono, flu, pregnancy testing, and bladder, ear and sinus infections.
The demand for walk-in convenience and a more affordable alternative to emergency rooms and urgent care centers led to quick growth. With the addition of insurance coverage and other improvements, QuickMedx became MinuteClinic in December 2002.
Now a part of CVS Caremark, MinuteClinic operates more than 800 clinic locations inside CVS/pharmacy stores in 28 states and the District of Columbia. We have expanded services and formed clinical affiliations with 30 of the largest hospital systems in the United States.
Every day, MinuteClinic practitioners help individuals, employers and health insurance plans access quality health care. We hope to have a MinuteClinic walk-in medical clinic near you soon. Check locations to see if we're in your neighborhood yet.
Our care model ensures practitioners can focus on providing patients with high-quality care at every visit:
- We focus on a specialized range of family health care needs
- We offer the training, tools and support you need so you can thoroughly evaluate, diagnose, recommend treatment and provide patient education
- Our proprietary Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system easily guides you to evidence-based diagnosis and treatment
- In every market, we have local board-certified, practicing physicians who serve as collaborating physicians and can assist you when needed
- Processing patients is easy — we accept most major insurances and utilize electronic billing
Our National Clinical Quality Advisory Council brings together thought leaders from academic organizations such as the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pediatrics and renowned American Schools of Nursing, as well as from other leading national health care organizations, for clinical collaboration and guidance as well as for strategic input that will help us meet our patient care goals.
We're proud to have some of the nation's premier experts contribute to our vision:
Colleen Conway-Welch, PhD, RN, FAAN, Dean, School of Nursing, Vanderbilt University
Andrew Eisenberg, MD, AAFP Appointed Representative
Margaret (Peg) Fitzgerald, DNP, FNP-BC, NP-C, FAANP, CSP, President, Fitzgerald Health Education Associates, Inc.
Michael Fleming, MD, AAFP Past President
Ann Griwatz, PA-C, AFPPA Past President
Kristin Nicol, MD, Chief of Medicine and Director, Primary and Subspecialty Medicine Service Line, Minneapolis VA Medical Center
Mary Ellen Roberts, MSN, APN-C, AANP Past President
Michael Severson, MD, AAP District IV Chairperson
MinuteClinic is the first retail health care provider to receive accreditation (2006) and reaccreditation (2009) from The Joint Commission. The esteemed organization's Gold Seal of Approval™ demonstrates our dedication to delivering the highest possible quality health care to patients in communities throughout the country. Learn More
What we offer
Here are just a few of the rewards and professional benefits you'll enjoy as collaborating physician for MinuteClinic locations in your area.
Working just a few hours a month, you'll help us continue to provide high-quality care. Plus, you can:
- Expand your community network and presence
- Earn compensation that's competitive in your market
- Have the opportunity to collaborate and mentor
MinuteClinic provides our collaborating physicians malpractice insurance coverage.
As a MinuteClinic collaborating physician, you'll enter into a collaborative agreement with the nurse practitioners or physician assistants* that staff your local clinic for:
- Clinical support, consulting when needed with clinic practitioners
- Providing clinical mentoring with collaborating providers
- Completing chart reviews
It's an extremely important role. The amount of time the job takes and the compensation depend on the number of clinics and the number of collaborations, approximately two hours per month per clinic.
This role requires:
- An MD or DO degree and board certification in family practice, emergency medicine or urgent care in your state (providers can also be double board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics)
- Active practice in your clinic's area
- A collaborative working style and ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships
- A proactive approach and solid problem-solving skills
Interested? Position yourself for success today.
If you have questions, or would like to submit your CV for consideration for future openings, please contact MinuteClinic Physician Management at MCPhysicianManagement@cvscaremark.com.
*MinuteClinic® employs physician assistants in select states. See here for details.