Best Cough Medicine For Kids
If your child is sick with a cold, you'll probably do anything you can to help them find relief. When it comes to cough medicine for kids, how do you know which one is best for your child? Whether it's reducing a fever or giving them relief from pain and chest congestion, read on to learn more about the best cough medicine for kids and how it can help.
Best Cough Medicine For Kids: Over The Counter
Before you give your child cough medicine, make sure that they don't have any allergies to the ingredients. Certain medications should never be given to young children, and you should always read the label to ensure that the medicine is acceptable for your child according to their age. Always purchase products that are made especially for kids. These medications usually contain fewer ingredients, a lower dose, or different ingredients that are safer for young children to take. When in doubt, always consult with your child's pediatrician for advice. They can tell you with products are the safest and best cough medicine for kids.
What Is The Best Cough Medicine For Kids?
When you look for cold and cough medicine for your child, use these tips to help you find the right product for their needs, and ensure they're getting the proper care:
- Do not give cold and cough medicines that contain an antihistamine or decongestant to children under the age of four. The FDA has deemed these ingredients dangerous to very young children.
- Cough drops and lozenges are a good option for children. Look for cough drops that feature fruity flavors so they're more palatable to your child. Cough drops should only be given to children over the age of five to prevent choking.
- In addition to cough medicine, make sure your child stays hydrated. They should consume plenty of water, soup, and warm tea to help soothe a sore throat and give them the extra hydration they need while sick with a cold.
- Always follow the directions carefully and never give your child more than the recommended dose per the manufacturer.
- If your child's fever continues or their symptoms get worse, contact a medical professional right away.
The best cough medicine for kids is safe and effective without causing serious side effects. Try cough drops and syrups first, then you may need to move to tablets if the symptoms are severe. Natural cough medicine is a good alternative that may help give your child the relief they need without the need for synthetic medication.