CVS Health Notice of Privacy Practices
This notice describes how medical information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information.
Please read it carefully.
Uses and Disclosures of Your PHI for Treatment, Payment and Health Care Operations
- Use and disclose your PHI to provide and coordinate the treatment, medication and services you receive at CVS Health.
- Disclose your PHI to other third parties, such as pharmacies, doctors, hospitals or other health care providers to assist them in providing care to you or for care coordination. In some instances, uses and disclosures of your PHI for these purposes may be made through a Health Information Exchange or similar shared system.
- Contact you to provide treatment-related services, such as refill reminders, adherence communications or treatment alternatives (e.g., available generic products).
- Share your PHI with your insurer, pharmacy benefit manager, or other health care payor to determine whether it will pay for your health care products and services you need and to determine the payment amount you may owe.
- Contact you about a payment or balance due for prescriptions dispensed to you at CVS Pharmacy or may disclose your PHI to other health care providers, health plans or other HIPAA Covered Entities who may need it for their payment activities.
- Use and disclose your PHI to monitor the quality of our health care services, to provide customer services to you, to resolve complaints and to coordinate your care.
- Transfer or receive your PHI if we buy or sell pharmacy locations.
- Use and disclose your PHI to contact you about health-related products, services or opportunities that may interest you, such as programs for CVS Health patients.
- Disclose your PHI to other HIPAA Covered Entities that have provided services to you so that they can improve the quality and efficacy of the health care services they provide or for their health care operations.
- Use your PHI to create de-identified data, which no longer identifies you, and which may used or disclosed for analytics, business planning or other purposes.
Other Uses and Disclosures of Your PHI that Do Not Require Authorization
Uses or Disclosures for Purposes that Require Your Authorization
- Use or disclose your PHI for marketing purposes.
- Sell your PHI to third parties (except for in connection with the transfer of a business to another health care provider required to comply with HIPAA).
- Share psychotherapy notes (to the extent we have any).